Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Two Bean Tofu Enchiladas


I've recently been experimenting with meatless recipes.  I purchased a vegan cookbook and borrowed a few vegetarian cookbooks from the library, beefing up my meal rotation with veggies.

In the process, I have realized that I really like beans, black beans, especially.  I'll cook a big batch of black beans and freeze them 3 cups at a time in baggies. Then, when I need a quick meal, I can pull a bag out of the freezer and make black bean burritos with homemade salsa or guacamole. Yum!

A few days ago, I had an inspired moment in the kitchen.  My husband and I really like creamy chicken enchiladas. An idea hatched in my mind for a meatless enchilada that would be hearty and delicious... and yes... involve tofu.

So here it is... the first recipe I have ever written (and it happens to be vegetarian, as well!):

Before baking...
 Two Bean Tofu Enchiladas
(makes about 10 enchiladas or five big servings...)

Ingredients:
  • 1 (15oz) can vegetarian re-fried beans
  • 1 cup + 1/4 cup homemade restaurant-style salsa (so much better than store-bought...)
  • 2 cups black beans (if using canned beans, drain and rinse)
  • 1 (12oz) pkg soft silken tofu
  • 1/2 lb Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 10 soft flour tortillas (medium size)
To make:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a deep skillet, heat the re-fried beans over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften and break apart. 
  3. Add a cup of salsa, the black beans, and the tofu. (You can add other ingredients at this point, too, like corn, olives, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, etc.) Continue to stir over medium heat until well-mixed. The tofu may look a little chunky, but just make sure you don't have any large chunks hanging out in the skillet.
  4. Spoon the filling evenly into the 10 tortilla shells, adding a generous pinch of cheese to each.  Roll the tortillas and place them in a 13"x9" pan as you go. When you have all 10 tortillas filled, top with the reserved salsa and any leftover shredded cheese. 
  5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.  Let the enchiladas sit for a few minutes before trying to scoop them out.  
After baking... let's eat!

I'm so excited to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Yum!
Let me know if you try making these and what you think!

Creative Commons License
Two Bean Tofu Enchiladas by Emily Bittel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment